ecstasy: 1382, "in a frenzy or stupor, fearful, excited," from O.Fr. extasie, from L.L. extasis, from Gk. ekstasis "trance, distraction," from existanai "displace," also "drive out of one's mind" (existanai phrenon), from ek "out" + histanai "to place, cause to stand," from PIE base *sta- "to stand" (see stet). Used by 17c. mystical writers for "a state of rapture that stupefied the body while the soul contemplated divine things," which probably helped the meaning shift to "exalted state of good feeling" (1620). Slang use for the drug 3,4-methylendioxymethamphetamine dates from 1985. Ecstatic "rapturously happy" is from 1664.
Ecstasy. Go figure. Have fun, friends!
k k k k k k k
How to Participate in One Single Impression
- Post your poetry on your blog. This does not need to be today. You can post any time during the week.
- Come here and enter your link into Mr. Linky. Other participants can easily find you by clicking your name in Mr. Linky.
- Enjoy the beautiful poems of the other bloggers.
- There is a new Mr. Linky each week so you always have to sign up on the current one. Please do not sign your name on Mr. Linky unless you are participating in One Single Impression.
- Mr. Linky will remain here forever. A list of past themes is on the sidebar. You can check back at any time for information on a past theme.
Thank you and enjoy!
Great prompt...distracted me all week!ReplyDelete
Sorry I messed up the first submission--
A writer block caused by many distractions. My post has rhymes but no meter? SorryReplyDelete
Mine is mundane, I think.ReplyDelete
so many distractions everywhere this weekReplyDelete
Beth you can delete a mistaken OSI post by clicking the yellow smile face after your name on Mr. Linky :)ReplyDelete
I love the prompt today...distracted by snow!ReplyDelete
Sorry, something is wrong with my Haiku Dreams site. Posted on main web site.ReplyDelete
Mine is upReplyDelete
Distractions kept me from poetry, until today.ReplyDelete
Mr. Linky appears to be missing.
thaz a great prompt this weeky sandy.. thank you for the additional info... always appreciated!!...ReplyDelete
Thought I'd give this a try. Check out my blog.ReplyDelete
How apt. I've been distracted lately and now I can share it. :)ReplyDelete
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SON – Poem for the Christmas ChildReplyDelete
Good Blog, I think I want to find me, I will tell my other friends, on allReplyDelete