Sunday, March 13, 2011

Prompt 159: Passionate

Thanks to Joseph Harker of Naming Constellations for this week's prompt, passionate, and this poem:
Aesthetics

This was the discovery of fire: when I,
for the sake of Art, held out that plump round fruit
and you snapped a bite with those perfect white teeth,

juice seeping from the corners of your lips. So red,
that we had to invent new words for it (oxblood, scarlet,
red of the screaming center of the hurricane rose)

and I took one slender finger to trace the droplets
around your skin. I predicted Pollock. I felt creation
rise in me like the lightning that comes in the evening,

dripped it down your naked chest, following hair-trails,
musculature, hipbone: that was what we found when
we took the lightning in both hands. It smoldered into

twin desires, twisted into the ladder of our DNA:
skin sliding over skin, the thirst for sweat and friction,
and color corrupting color, a need to re-create things

in our image. Arrangement of forms animates me. I am
one long paintbrush: the fruit bleeding knowledge
is my choice of expression trickling down your belly:

and if you'll permit, I'll call your skin my canvas,
making it up as I go along, letting myself burn from the
inside out, killing so many birds with one cometary stone.
+ + + + + +
How to Participate in One Single Impression
Post your poetry on your blog.
Come here and enter your URL into the inlinkz widget. Other participants can easily find you by clicking your name or image.
Enjoy the beautiful poems of the other bloggers.
There is a new inlinkz widget each week so you always have to sign up on the current one. Please do not sign your name on the widget unless you are participating in One Single Impression.
The links will remain here forever. A list of past prompts is on the sidebar. You can check back at any time for information on a past prompt.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Joseph, this poem is written with passion. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the inspiration and for Joseph's passionate poem. The first and third haiku in this haiku set were inspired by this prompt: Haunted By Haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is quite a poem Joseph, you lucky guy!

    Thanks for the wonderful prompt too.

    www.takeahappybreak.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow joseph, i am speechless... a brush, a canvas and a stone...

    ReplyDelete