Sunday, November 9, 2008

Prompt 37: Paradox

This week's prompt is paradox, thanks to Edward Gault of Forest River Journal. Thanks for these, Edward:

I wrote half tanka
Then wrote one half the next part
Followed by next half
And continued in this way
Until I got to the en

k k k

Her smile was friendly,
She looked directly through me
-speaking policy.

k k k

"I am always doing that which I cannot do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
k k k k k k k

How to Participate in One Single Impression
  • Post your poetry on your blog. This does not need to be today. You can post any time during the week.
  • Come here and enter your link into Mr. Linky. Other participants can easily find you by clicking your name in Mr. Linky.
  • Enjoy the beautiful poems of the other bloggers.
  • There is a new Mr. Linky each week so you always have to sign up on the current one. Please do not sign your name on Mr. Linky unless you are participating in One Single Impression.
  • Mr. Linky will remain here forever. A list of past themes is on the sidebar. You can check back at any time for information on a past theme.
Thank you and enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Thank you, Edward. This was another fun prompt.
    I hope to learn more about paradoxes from the examples I will be reading on the other blogs.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jim. Paradox can be very tricky and confusing.I am afraid we may have a misunderstanding In Re the tanka. If you continually do something halfway, you never finish it-ergo, I purposely left off the final d to make that point(on my blog's version of it). There is a debate about this in philosophy departments: some philosophers believe you can eventually get there or get the job done even if you contininually accomplish just half of it. As a practical matter, in some cases you would, but then, at the final stage you would be going the full way, not halfway. In theory, if you only went halfway at each step, you would never finish the task, or get where you wanted to get to. This is what makes the whole question a problem in paradox.
    Sorry for any confusion-my bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philosophically speaking isn't the point of paradox that it continues to point confusingly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect my "paradox" is actually an "enigma" but who knows the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this prompt. The concept of paradox always creates great debate. And that is the essence of a paradox. The tension of two opposite concepts, never being uniquely complete but creating the illusion of co-existence and generating the belief in a whole new bristly meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting prompt! I loved my struggle to understand how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me two reads before I got the poem, before I remembered that paradox from junior high school math. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the prompt and inspiration ... it was much appreciated. Peace, JP/deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do you call two physicians walking hand-in-hand?

    A pair of docs.

    (rim shot follows...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this one was pretty difficult. i tried to come up with something original but couldn't. quite an interesting prompt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops! I didn't realize the (Pill Bottles) at the end of my name......it was from a previous post about recycling them......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry so late but better late then not at all.

    love-bd

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems a little more than I need to check the information, because I was thinking: Why does not my GLOG these things!

    ReplyDelete