Sunday, November 30, 2008

Prompt 40: Welcoming

Thanks to Nancy Bea Miller of Genre Cookshop for this week's prompt of "welcoming":

don't worry spiders
I keep house
casually

~Kobayashi Issa (1763 -1827)

In Issa's haiku, "don't worry spiders...," unadorned language—without simile, metaphor, allusion, or other figurative elements—provides an amusing snapshot of some spiders and the human they live with. As in most haiku, conjunctions and connectors, such as "because," are left out and the logic is left for readers to infer. Often, two or more meanings are possible: here, for example, "keep house" can imply keeping one's house tidy, or "keeping a house" that is welcoming for all who live there, even the spiders.(from an essay by Robert Hass, U.S. poet laureate)

Also, thanks for the photo, Nancy!
k k k k k k k

How to Participate in One Single Impression
  • Post your poetry on your blog. This does not need to be today. You can post any time during the week.
  • Come here and enter your link into Mr. Linky. Other participants can easily find you by clicking your name in Mr. Linky.
  • Enjoy the beautiful poems of the other bloggers.
  • There is a new Mr. Linky each week so you always have to sign up on the current one. Please do not sign your name on Mr. Linky unless you are participating in One Single Impression.
  • Mr. Linky will remain here forever. A list of past themes is on the sidebar. You can check back at any time for information on a past theme.
Thank you and enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. This Sunday will be the middle of the 20th of the 24 yearly sekki (seasons), namely: shōsetsu; literally "minor snow".

    Last week here in Connecticut, I saw a faint drizzle of snow only visible against the dark hemlocks on the north side of my home.

    I'd like to be welcoming, but at the same time mindful of the coming harshness of snowy days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nancy, for this prompt. I had my theme early but the words came late. It was enjoyable writing this one.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great prompt and photo! I am working on it....

    Hugs, G

    www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great prompt, and wonderful photo - what's more welcoming than fresh bread!! I have to admit, though, being something of an arachnophobe, spiders are not welcome in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sandy, and everyone else, for your kind welcoming of my prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the prompt. I love the Issa haiku.

    We shared our shower with a beautiful spider and were sad when she was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried to write a haiku in the same spirit as the one in the prompt which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely prompt, thank you. It fitted into my chapbook theme nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. for a great prompt many thanks nancy.
    blenza.com says 'restricted area' and calls for user name/password for this prompt.maybe osi could rersolve this.
    i have posted my poems & everyone is welcome to read them..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blenza and Mr. Linky are definitely on the blinky. I've posted mine as well.

    Love the prompt and the poem offered up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Nancy--
    Thanks for the so apropos prompt!

    Loved the issa haiku--and your picture was just right, too.

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading the information, I may have different views, but I do think this is good BLOG!

    ReplyDelete