Sunday, September 5, 2010

Prompt 132: Choices

Thanks to Joseph of Naming Constellations for this week's prompt, choices. Here is his poem, which he calls an homage to Robert Frost.

Pathfinder


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and yet they seemed unkind to me:
it does a traveler no good
to see the possum meat and blood
that stain their black periphery.

These asphalt snakes that loop the field
with broken spines in pallid paint,
they fester like a wound unhealed.
The deer and fox are well-concealed:
their shadows grey, their outlines faint.

No more they dare themselves to stray
across that tarry river in the trees:
nor did I wish more to go that way.
I cleared the brush like August hay,
to see the paths the clever fox sees.

Cars pass in the corner of my eye:
I creep alongside them, heel to toe.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I wanted neither to travel by,
and thus made my own way to go.
+ + + + + + + +

How to Participate in One Single Impression
  • Post your poetry on your blog. This does not need to be today. You can post any time during the week.
  • Come here and enter your URL into the inlinkz widget. Other participants can easily find you by clicking your name or image.
  • Enjoy the beautiful poems of the other bloggers.
  • There is a new inlinkz widget each week so you always have to sign up on the current one. Please do not sign your name on the widget unless you are participating in One Single Impression.
  • The links will remain here forever. A list of past themes is on the sidebar. You can check back at any time for information on a past theme.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Joseph for a wonderful prompt, I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joseph for this nice prompt. Although short of time, I had fun making a little ditty for it.
    ..
    I like your poem also. I had a similar OSI post back in March of 2009. The link for my name takes one to it. Yours is nicer and better structured. The ending was similar. My dog, Adi helped me back then.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. to have the power to make ones own choice, ones own path takes the ability to honor ones own truth. Wonderful poem.

    Thank you for this weeks prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid this week's prompt caused me to be very unpoetic! But at least you have two choices! Which poem will you choose?

    http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2010/06/choice.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joseph,

    Trust me I think the prompt proposed by you threw so many CHOICES.. that one wondered what to put that should be different.. I enjoyed the challenge.. you comment would be encouraging..do visit..

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the most enjoyed so far ! Thank you.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful prompt! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "In retrospect," I found I could say it in a lot fewer words... :)

    ReplyDelete