Sunday, September 28, 2008

Prompt 31: Fleeting

Nancy Bea Miller of Genre Cookshop offers us this week's post of fleeting along with this poem, this tender and wonderful photo, a haiku by Basho, and a thought on the nature of haiku and creativity! Thanks, friend!

The baby's warm foot,
dangling free: round, fragrant, soft-
next spring running hard.

k k k
Old Pond
by Matsuo Basho
Furuike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto.

Old pond
A frog leaps in
The sound of water.

k k k

"Every moment of life should remind us, and death clearly does remind us, that the fleeting moments we seek to capture in haiku are impermanent. Yet, as Bob [Robert Spiess] also wrote, "that impermanence allows us to be creatively free: if the universe were fixed, true creativity would not be possible." (Michael Dylan Welch, Modern Haiku)

k k k k k k k

How to Participate in One Single Impression
  • Post your poetry on your blog. This does not need to be today. You can post any time during the week.
  • Come here and enter your link into Mr. Linky. Other participants can easily find you by clicking your name in Mr. Linky.
  • Enjoy the beautiful poems of the other bloggers.
  • There is a new Mr. Linky each week so you always have to sign up on the current one. Please do not sign your name on Mr. Linky unless you are participating in One Single Impression.
  • Mr. Linky will remain here forever. A list of past themes is on the sidebar. You can check back at any time for information on a past theme.
Thank you and enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Thank you Nancy, I have enjoyed trying to write for your prompt.
    Now I am ready to enjoy the works all others have written.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for an interesting prompt. I enjoyed what you wrote here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope I don't offend anyone with my entry. It's what came, so I let it come...
    Thanks for the interesting prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely prompt.
    I hope to be able to read more and comment this week: I got completely swamped again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting and beautiful introduction to the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great prompt; I love how you caught the essence of infancy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A neat prompt-it can go in all directions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad people are enjoying my prompt! I'm really enjoying seeing all the different interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a great prompt. You really had to think about it. Thanks

    love bd

    ReplyDelete
  10. ''thanks nancy for a great prompt and
    a wonderful post..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the mind searching prompt! I love your contribution. Babies feet! delightful! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love fleeting has now led me to billowing, I've been using it since I saw it. And from the pic and my kids titles. If I snatched it somewhere I apologize. Between fleeting and billowing my vocab is limited this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is, indeed, a great prompt, Nancy. The photo is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Although we have differences in culture, but do not want is that this view is the same and I like that!

    ReplyDelete