There lies an ocean inside my chest
A cosmic rolling of the tides
Each swell of breath a rhythmic crest
And in this place a mermaid presides
She skims atop my wrecks and treasures
Where gold coins wink and beckon
And grains of wisdom nestle
In oystered pearls that glisten
Where heartaches fuse to coral
Stinging plankton with their grief
While wild waves curl with churning thoughts
Then lap on shimmering sands to sleep
And the stars beam down
At the commotion, and seagulls
Hover with salt-kissed wings
Swooping with a listening ear
To hear her raw notes as she sings
She’s tossed, and rocked, and cradled
And tumbled endlessly
My precarious, sensitive mermaid
In the depths of my vast blue sea.
Click here for photo credit.
+ + + + + + + +
How to Participate in One Single Impression
- Post your poetry on your blog. This does not need to be today. You can post any time during the week.
- Come here and enter your link into Mr. Linky. Other participants can easily find you by clicking your name in Mr. Linky.
- Enjoy the beautiful poems of the other bloggers.
- There is a new Mr. Linky each week so you always have to sign up on the current one. Please do not sign your name on Mr. Linky unless you are participating in One Single Impression.
- Mr. Linky will remain here forever. A list of past themes is on the sidebar. You can check back at any time for information on a past theme.